before you read any further...

If you're trying to find my photography site, click here for peterdavisphotography.com.
If not, keep reading...

Sunday, June 22, 2008

wake up call?

This weekend, Sarah and the girls and I traveled to Roanoke Rapids, NC for my cousin's wedding. We were looking forward to the weekend with mixed feelings...we were excited to see my family and to see Kyla as a flower girl in the wedding, but we were nervous about traveling with Avery (eczema, food allergies, etc). The thing we were most nervous about what staying in the hotel because we hadn't done that with both girls before.

We finally arrived at the hotel Friday evening with just a little time to check in, unpack, eat a bite, and get to the rehearsal. When I checked in, I had to chuckle when the lady asked me if I needed a wake up call in the morning. Little did she know that my two little human alarm clocks hadn't let me sleep past 6:30 in over a year! Little did I know the type of wake up call I was about to receive.

The rehearsal went well, we got back to the room, and we all crashed Friday evening around 9:30. I slept great and was feeling pretty good when I heard Avery talking in her pack 'n play at the foot of our bed at about 6:15. I thought, "well...she did pretty well. She didn't wake up and she slept later than normal!" I went to get her expecting to change her diaper and put her in bed with us and hoping to get a little more sleep. But as I said, little did I know what awaited!

As I groggily walked over, with the little light available, I noticed Avery had taken her pants off. No surprise though, because she does that quite often. Then I noticed another foreign object laying in the crib...her diaper! I said playfully, "Avery, did you take your diaper off?" She just smiled at me...still no surprises.

Then I caught a whiff of a not-so-pleasant odor and at the same time noticed some other foreign objects in the crib. You guessed it. Completely unrobed and undiapered, she pooped all over the sheets! All over her blankie and her teddy bear! I was shocked and grossed out and worried that if I made a huge deal about it Kyla would wake up. What a mess!

In complete silence, I got her cleaned up and I cleaned the crib as much as I could. Then I got back in bed with Avery hoping to sleep some of the shock off...but she was awake. So I took her downstairs for breakfast so that Kyla and Sarah could sleep some more and decided to clean the rest of it later. I should have cracked a window, however, because the smell when we returned was horrendous!

Thankfully, we were able to do a quick load of laundry at my aunt's house so that Avery could get her blankie in time for nap...but the crib sheet and teddy bear were bagged up and disposed of! Oh, the adventures of parenthood!

Anyway, the wedding went well and we arrived at Sarah's parents house last night where we'll be spending the rest of the week hanging out and enjoying a little vacation within a vacation. I'll post some pictures of the wedding as soon as I can!

1 comments:

Rosie said...

whoa what a story...
taking off her diaper to poop...perhaps a sign of ready to potty train?