before you read any further...

If you're trying to find my photography site, click here for peterdavisphotography.com.
If not, keep reading...

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Kyla's bed...almost finished

As I mentioned earlier, I am making a full size platform bed for Kyla. For Father's Day, Sarah gave me the day off yesterday and I spent the day out in the garage working on the bed. When I start a project, I've usually thought it through pretty well, but I don't really use any plans other than the ones I sketch out on paper. So far, everything has turned out pretty well even though I tend to make a few mistakes along the way, but I guess that's how I learn best. All those years of watching "This Old House" and "New Yankee Workshop" on Saturday mornings are finally paying off!

Anyway, I had all the wood and I quickly got to measuring, cutting, and sanding. And by the time I came in to help get the house ready for our dinner guests, I had it all framed out. I got out there in the garage again tonight after the kids were in bed and stained it. Now I just have to cut the slats and put on the clear coat and Kyla will have a bed! I guess the true test is when I get it upstairs and throw the mattress on there. If all goes well, I'll make one for us too! I designed it so it can be broken down into four pieces which is necessary because it is HEAVY! Below are a few pictures of my work in progress. I'll post the finished product soon!

This bed should be strong enough to last a long time even with all the monkeys jumping on the it!

one of the corners

ah yeah!

double ah yeah

0 comments: