before you read any further...

If you're trying to find my photography site, click here for peterdavisphotography.com.
If not, keep reading...

Sunday, June 1, 2008

it wasn't me...

It seems that part Universal Studios in LA is on fire! I know that some of you may assume that I had something to do with it given my history of fires and movie studios...but I promise I have not been near Los Angeles since Thanksgiving!

For those of you unfamiliar with my story, let me share. In September 2006, with some help from my friend Ben who worked for Sony, I landed the biggest photo gig I've ever had. Along with several friends, I photographed Sony Electronics' Global Marketing Division conference at the Sony studios near our house in Culver City. All the big wigs from around the world were in town and my job was to document the conference with group photos, candids, and pictures of worldwide execs with the CEO and President of Sony Electronics.

At any rate, on the first day, we were setting up our rented lighting equipment in a theater in the middle of the studio backlot when I started to smell something burning. I sniffed around, but didn't see anything and quickly dismissed it because there was so much other electronic equipment in use. When I came back into the room, I looked down at one of the power supplies for our lights and saw a six-inch flame shooting out of the side and coming within six inches of the large curtain surrounding the movie screen!

I quickly unplugged the power supply and the flame disappeared. But much to my chagrin, one of Sony's techs came down to investigate the smell. He and I quickly ran the power supply outside before any alarms sounded. My heart was in my throat by then because we were running a tight schedule and had to get the lighting setup (and we were now down one light). I was also nervous about leaving a piece of rented equipment on the curb out back, especially since it was a mysterious little grey box with buttons and knobs! So I stuck my business card on it for any inquiring minds and ran back in to finish setting up.

After a few minutes, I got a chance to meet the nice gentlemen from the Culver City Fire Department who were called by someone who had smelled the smoke. Thankfully, they weren't rushing in with hoses and hard hats, but they just came to investigate. They were very nice! Then I got to meet the fine gentlemen of the Sony Security Department who wanted to file a report. After all was said and done, I was a nervous wreck and had earned the nickname "Smokey Pete" from the Sony techs who witnessed the whole thing. We got the burned out power supply replaced that night and the shoot was flawless over the following two days. But just to reiterate my point, I had nothing to do with this Universal fire!

0 comments: