before you read any further...

If you're trying to find my photography site, click here for peterdavisphotography.com.
If not, keep reading...

Saturday, November 15, 2008

what about the kids?

One of the biggest mountains to climb in regards to possibly moving to the Philippines is the thought of raising the kids in a developing country. For those of you who may not know, our youngest daughter Avery suffers incredibly from eczema. For some, that may not sound too bad, but let me just tell you it has been Hell at times dealing with this. There are times when about 60-70% of her body is covered in horribly irritated, dry skin and all she knows to do as a 2 year old is scratch and cry. She's allergic to a ton of things including milk, eggs, nuts, pine trees, grass, formaldehyde (found in carpet and a ton of other things), petrol chemicals (found in gasoline and just about every lotion), and we recently found out she is allergic to the two vaccines she was given (DTAP and HIBB I think). Ironically enough her eczema didn't start until after she had those two vaccines...hmmmmm...but that's a controversy for another day.

Through this decision process, I feel like I have just been waiting on a miracle with Avery. I've found myself saying that I would be able to make this decision a lot easier if we didn't have so much trouble with her condition. I've always viewed her as frail because for a long time she even had trouble gaining weight. She's moved on from that and is very healthy, but I still have it in my mind. She is improving so much as she gets older. This time last year, we were ready to fall apart at times because of the stress with her health. Now those days are a little fewer and we find ourselves being able to actually get to know our daughter for the first time. She's developing her own little personality and I'm realizing she's probably one of the most interesting people I know! We're also taking her to an acupuncturist who is doing an amazing acupressure technique that has been proven to eliminate allergies...and we feel like we're actually starting to see results...I'll post more about that later.

So what about the kids? Why would we move them overseas? Well, let me turn that around. Why would we not? When we think about our kids as adults, how do we want them to turn out? We desire for them to have a broad world-knowledge, to understand how the world works, not just their own little community, but the world as a whole. We want them to have compassion for those in need. We long for them not to be caught up in the consumerism and materialism that so easily engulfs us. We want our kids to tangibly see how God can provide in tough situations. We want our kids to know that life isn't always easy and life isn't always fair, but God always works things out for the good of those who love Him and are called to His purpose. We want our kids to be grateful for all they have been given.

Can those desires be fulfilled for our kids here in the Sates? Of course they can, but in my little mind it seems much easier to instill those values while walking in faith in a developing country. Sure they will be young while they are there and may not catch everything that happens, but I can't help but think that Sarah and I will be so radically transformed while we are there that it will have a lasting impact on how we live as a family forever.

I have a coworker who lived in Japan as a missionary for 19 years. I talked with her last year about our possible move and our concerns with the kids. She and her husband had their two boys while living overseas and they were teenagers when they moved back. Now, as adults, she says her sons continually talk about their days in Japan as some of the best times of their lives. She says she'd go back in a heartbeat if she could.

So in my mind, the kids shouldn't really be a reason not to go. Do I worry about their health and safety? I try not to, but sure I do. We love our kids more than anything and want nothing but the best for them. And that is honestly one of the main reasons why we want to go overseas. We can trust God for their safety and do all we can to show them a life of faith, love, adventure, and service. That seems like the best thing we can do for our kids.

One big thing that might have a big impact on our decision, though, is whether or not Avery will be able to get the vaccines she needs to go. We're looking into that and watching, waiting, and praying that she'll be healed of all these allergies. Keep praying for us and I'll do my best to keep you updated. Thanks!

3 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Hi Peter! Our family is in a similar boat as yours, it seems! Do you mind if I link to this post? Thanks! Emilie Patterson

Peter Davis said...

Emilie, no need to ask! Of course you can link to this post! Hope you guys have a Merry Christmas!