before you read any further...

If you're trying to find my photography site, click here for peterdavisphotography.com.
If not, keep reading...

Friday, November 14, 2008

stay away,,,

I try not to pay attention to market reports and economic news...it's depressing and it's something I have no control over. I just need to keep on trying to make more than I spend right now. Thankfully, I don't have to worry about losing my job.

But one thing I read yesterday made me pretty upset. If you know me at all, you know I strongly dislike Walmart. There are many reasons - economic impact on local small businesses, poor pay and benefits for employees, extremely high distribution of goods made in sweatshops in oppressive areas...not to mention how crowded and crazy-huge all the stores are. I've only shopped there about 4 times in the past 5 years I think.

Anyway, I read an article yesterday saying that in these difficult times, Walmart is making more and more money. "It is our time. We are well prepared at Wal-Mart," Wal-Mart CEO Lee Scott said. It's Walmart's time? That sounds scary. I understand that as money gets tighter, it sounds great to save money at a store with cheap prices. But in my economically-uneducated mind, doesn't it seem that more people shopping at Walmart will only put more small companies out of business which will lead to more unemployment which will lead to worse economic times which will lead to us all working at Walmart because they are the only ones hiring?

So here's why I care about this story. There is something I can control here, unlike most economic troubles. I can keep away from that store especially during this Christmas season where they make something like 50% of their annual sales. I can buy from small businesses in my area and online. I can look for toys for my kids that aren't made in China of cheap, led-painted plastic. I can be creative in what I give to others, maybe even making some of it myself. Sure, my kids may not have a plethora of gifts under the tree. We may pay more for fewer gifts. But at least I'll feel good about what I give.

0 comments: