before you read any further...

If you're trying to find my photography site, click here for peterdavisphotography.com.
If not, keep reading...

Sunday, November 2, 2008

3 more days...

I wrote this on Friday and debated about whether or not I should post it...but I decided I would. So here goes!

I still can't believe how many false rumors (lies if you will) about Obama are truly believed around here. We were talking to my neighbor last weekend who is about 20 years old and is in the marines. Sarah asked him what his impression of the election was from a military mindset - how were people in the military voting? He responded that he thought most people in the military were voting for McCain because Obama would be the first Black Muslim president and would probably get taken out which would not be good. I'm not sure who was more surprised. We were shocked that people were still buying into that lie. He was shocked the hear that Obama is actually a Christian.

Then yesterday our middle school held a school-wide mock election. I wasn't surprised when I heard all the kids voicing their support for McCain given the area where my school is located and I certainly didn't engage in any debates. I just held my tongue and when the kids asked, I told them I would tell them who I voted for after the mock election was over. As the day progressed, it got harder and harder to hold my tongue - not because I wanted to change minds, but because I couldn't believe the lies these kids had been fed. Had I heard the same about McCain, I would have gladly corrected it.

I made it through the day, but this morning I finally had to hit it head on. Obama is not a terrorist. Obama is not a Muslim. Obama is not related to Sadam Hussein. Obama was not connected with the 9/11 plot. Obama will not make kids go to school on Saturdays and Sundays (I thought that one was pretty funny, actually). And when I ask where the kids hear these things, what do they say? Well the one about weekend school came from a kid in band. But most of them said they got their information from their parents. I asked one kid what his parents watch on TV and he responded, "Fox News." Well, I guess it's a good thing they don't watch that evil "Mainstream Media!"

0 comments: