before you read any further...

If you're trying to find my photography site, click here for peterdavisphotography.com.
If not, keep reading...

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

nightstands...

A few weeks after slicing my arm on our bed rail, we decided that we wanted to ditch the metal frame and get a little more cultural with a platform bed that is low to the ground. One problem...we didn't have any money to buy a bed. So we did the second best thing...put our box spring on the ground!

If you've ever been to our house, you'd know that we don't have an overabundance of furniture...mostly just the necessities for daily living. The one piece of furniture that were were lacking, however, that we felt we needed, were nightstands for our bedroom. It's not a big deal, the lamps, alarm clocks, and books sit on the floor beside the bed. Although, last summer, it was pretty disappointing when Kyla stepped on my glasses and broke them in half when she came in to wake me up one morning.

At any rate, I had been itching to get back into my garage to build something and I had a lot of scrap materials that I thought could become end tables. So I seized my opportunity, ran to Home Depot, bought $15 worth of materials and put together two platform-bed-sized night stands. Sarah helped me sand them down and I stained and sealed them as I had time over the course of a few days.

I'm pretty proud of how they turned out because I didn't have any plans, just a picture in my head of how I hoped they'd look. One of my summer projects will hopefully be making the matching platform bed...we'll see!

0 comments: