before you read any further...

If you're trying to find my photography site, click here for peterdavisphotography.com.
If not, keep reading...

Tuesday, April 8, 2008

the junk mail war is on...

I've been growing quite tired of receiving 3-4 catalogs, 3 credit card offers, and coupon circulars in the mail nearly every day. That is an amazing amount of wasted paper because they automatically go in the trash! I finally decided the other day that I'm done with it all and I declared war!

What I've started doing is immediately calling the 1-800 number on the back of every catalog and removing our names from their list. I also called the 1-800 number on the back of the credit card offers and opted out of receiving any pre-screened offers in the mail. One of the things that bugs me the most is the coupons and I had a hard time finding the source, so I did some investigating and found one company. Check out Valassis' website and put your name on their do-not-mail list. It still takes a few weeks for it to happen, but at least you can cut down on wasted paper and wasted time throwing that junk away.

I also just found a site called Pro Quo that actually takes your name off of a lot of lists. It also gives you forms and numbers to call to get off of lists they don't have access to. It looks pretty good, but I haven't done anything with it yet. They promise that you'll be down to almost no junk mail in 3 months! Sounds pretty good to me!

I know it might seem like a winless battle, but if everyone would spend a few minutes each day unsubscribing from all the junk mail they get in their boxes that day, we might just save quite a bit of paper and energy. Plus you might just find that you're less tempted to buy all the junk advertised!

1 comments:

Lisa said...

Pete,
this is a really easy one that we have done:
http://www.greendimes.com/
hi to everyone!
Lisa