before you read any further...

If you're trying to find my photography site, click here for peterdavisphotography.com.
If not, keep reading...

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

getting a little tired...

I was just brushing my teeth a few minutes ago and a surprising thought crossed my mind. I'm growing quite tired of the presidential race. I've tried to keep from overloading myself with all of it, but I think I've about reached my limit with the conventions over the last two weeks. I find the whole process to be kind of like driving past a bad traffic accident. I want to drive by without a glance, but I can't help but slow down, crane my kneck and take in as much as I can before moving on.

I'm alternating right now between typing and watching Guliani's speech at the RNC online. His speech perfectly underscores why I am growing tired of the race. Seventy five percent of his speech has been mocking and bashing Obama. Earlier I saw a headline stating "Palin set to slam Obama in convention speech." I also heard Mitt Romney criticizing the Northeast Elites in a speech. Isn't he a bajillionare from Massachusettes? Last week, I watched the Democrats take plenty of cheap shots at McCain as well. Aren't all of these key leaders from both parties professing Christians? Shouldn't we be speaking out of love and not tearing our brothers and sisters down? Why can't it be more about the positives and less about the negatives?

I'm not new to politics. I've been around it my whole life and I understand that insulting is part of the game. I also believe that there is no person who has gotten to the point of being able to run for president without ever having done something a little on the sketchy side. Playing politics at this level is a dirty game, no exceptions. But even with that understanding, I will never understand the lack of humility and the excessive belittling that comes at this level of politics.

I will also never understand the passion at which individuals support candidates. I support Obama. I believe he is the best choice. I even went so far as to put a bumper sticker on my car. But when I watch these conventions, I just have to scratch my head. So many people seem willing to do anything to defend these candidates whom they don't even know personally. This has become so evident in the past few days with the support people are throwing at Palin. All of a sudden, thousands of Republicans talk about her as a fearless, corruption-fighting, maverick who is going to shake up Washington. How can they be so sure when so many of them had never even heard her name until a week ago? I'm sure she's a great person and I'm sure she works hard and does a good job. I look forward to getting to know more about her. But how can one be willing to argue in defense of a person they know nothing about other than a few tidbits we've gotten from the news? It seems like you might want to give it some time before you behind her so much. I'm intruiged.

Anyway, I'm probably just a little exhausted from the conventions, but I just really want the election to hurry up and get here so we can move on. Oh! Gotta go! They just announced Palin and I want to watch her speech!

0 comments: