before you read any further...

If you're trying to find my photography site, click here for peterdavisphotography.com.
If not, keep reading...

Sunday, March 16, 2008

Pi day...

Anyone who knew me back in the day should be quite surprised that I teach math now. Especially Mr. Hesbach , my senior math teacher. At any rate, Friday was March 14, 3/14, which is officially known as Pi Day. For those of you who may have forgotten, Pi is 3.14 (and my nerd math friends will scold me for stopping there because it goes on for a bajillion more numbers after the 4).

So, my co-teacher and I decided a celebration was in order (except we had to celebrate on Thursday because of the field trip). We had people bring in pies and we measured the diameters and calculated the circumference and area (I know that is lame, but we had to make it somewhat educational). Then we ate pie and it was good. On a funny side note, the same boy who flushed his glasses down the toilet (see that post) decided he would brave his first taste of a pie on Thursday. How his mother let him get to the age of 12 without eating pie, I will never understand. Anyway, he got a one-inch triangle slice and cautiously inspected it. Finally, I convinced him to pop the whole thing in his mouth. When he did, his eyes bulged, he leaped out of his chair, and started running around like a man on fire. He finally flung the door open and sprinted to the bathroom to spit it out. I guess he didn't like it. At least he came back from the bathroom with his glasses this time!

Anyway, for all my math-lovin' friends, I've also posted the video we showed to our class below. It is a spoof on Eminem's "Lose Yourself." The rap is done by a guy named Pi-Ditty and it is called "Lose Yourself in the Digits." Enjoy!

(Warning: the video you are about to watch contains explicitly bad rapping by a bunch of geeky white kids who love math way too much. The owner of the blog had absolutely nothing to do with the creation of the video. He simply thought that some of his friends might think it was funny. Consider yourself warned. Oh, and for some reason, the video appears twice below and the owner of this blog couldn't figure out how to get the second one to go away.)


0 comments: