before you read any further...

If you're trying to find my photography site, click here for peterdavisphotography.com.
If not, keep reading...

Friday, March 28, 2008

my 3rd favorite part about teaching...

As I'm sitting here sipping my homemade Americano, I can't help but think that this is my 3rd favorite part of being a teacher...Spring Break! At the end of last week, I was feeling ragged, worn down, and generally exhausted. Teaching is a tough gig, even if we do only have to work 9 months out of the year. And the job is getting tougher every year. The government and administrators heap on more expectations, requirements, and duties. Parents generally become more demanding and unrealistic. And to top it all off, many students are becoming less responsible and more apathetic. I've only been in the game for a few years and I can already tell that public education is in big trouble.

I've had the privilege of working with some very experienced teachers on the verge of retirement after teaching for 30ish years. Several of them have tried to convince other young teachers and myself to seek out other careers for our own mental health and well-being. They've seen education change so much and they can't imagine getting started now. The average new teacher only lasts about 3-5 years in the classroom these days.

I hope that I can still be standing in 30 years as a teacher because, after all, I do love my job. I love seeing kids learn how to read and write. I love walking kids through all the drama that comes with being a kid. I love sitting down with (most) parents and trying to figure out how to help a kid learn. I love teaching kids life lessons. It's the best job in the world! Hopefully, someday, someone with the influence to change things will realize that the Powers That Be are sucking the joy out of a tough job.

"So Peter," you ask, "if spring break is your 3rd favorite part of teaching, what are your 1st and 2nd favorite parts about teaching?" Good question, I'm glad you asked! Number two is Christmas break and Number one is summer break! Like I said before, I love my job...but I do love taking time off to be with my family and friends even more!

0 comments: