before you read any further...

If you're trying to find my photography site, click here for peterdavisphotography.com.
If not, keep reading...

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

A confession I hope my dad doesn't read...

Union County Public Schools (for whom I work) will possibly be shut down tomorrow due to inclement weather! I spent my day warning students that they should still do their homework just in case we do have school tomorrow. I am excited about the thought of my first snow day as a teacher (didn't get many snow days in Los Angeles) even though it is probably just going to sleet for a while and turn to rain by midday.

At any rate, I hope my dad doesn't read this, because I have to confess that I am severely under prepared for any kind of inclement weather. I do have an ice-scraper for the windshield of my car that I've already had to use this year, but I realized that I don't have anything else that might come in handy in case of a real big storm. I don't have a shovel or rock salt. That's not too big of a deal since we probably won't ever really get a huge snowfall. But I realized that if the power goes out, our phone goes out because we have voice over IP. Still not a huge deal, but I also found out that I don't have a battery-operated radio to be able to find out if I have to work. While thinking about batteries, I realized I don't even own a flashlight. Sheesh...it's a good thing we're in Charlotte where we don't get much inclement weather! If you did read this Dad, I'm sorry I have failed you as a son.

-----------------------------
Quick update 6:50am on Thursday: It snowed about 1/2 inch and is raining now. The roads are fine but we got a 2hr delay. I'm sure the kids will be nutty! We didn't lose power so I've been given a second chance at preparedness. Now if I could just convince my two kids to go back to bed since it's a late-start day, all would be well...

0 comments: